Exciting opportunities are available to join Atlas Engineering Group, Ltd. (Atlas), a professional licensed consulting firm specializing in civil/transportation/rail design engineering, structural design engineering, water resources, construction management, surveying, and program management. Work out of our offices in the City of Chicago (right on the Chicago River), Northbrook, IL, or Valparaiso, IN. Flexibility to work remotely part-time. Seeking staff with a positive, pro-active attitude, who are integral to the foundation of our organization, and the key to everyone’s success. Join a team with a culture which welcomes everyone’s perspectives and voices and become a part of a dynamic organization that delivers a passion for what we do and a vision for enhancing the communities and ever-changing environment that surround us.
Atlas is seeking Transportation Project Managers in our Civil Engineering/Rail Division to join our evolving Team. This position is a leadership role for leading a staff of design engineers and technicians in all aspects of design and plan preparation for roadway, highway, and rail Phase I/II Transportation/Civil engineering projects. Responsibilities include proactively managing the project’s technical budget using Earned Value Management techniques (including technical sub-consultants), schedule, technical requirements, contractual obligations, and project communications for the
delivery of quality work, on time, within budget and to the client’s satisfaction. Our clients vary from federal, state, and local governments; railroads and transit agencies; and collar county DOTs.
This position will work in a team environment, lead progress meetings, make sound engineering decisions, provide direction to staff, and coordinate the workload of projects. The Project Manager will lead, assign, and review work of the project delivery team; check work through QC procedures; monitor progress; identify changes of scope and additional services; mentor staff; collaborate with all team disciplines: and manage the project scope, budget and schedule. Duties also include multi-discipline project coordination inclusive of survey, grading, drainage, structures, utilities and layout of various site items, and other duties as needed. Project management, quality assurance/control checks, and technical review experience are required.
The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to develop and maintain client relationships, lead proposal development, participate in interviews, and be a visible and active member of the transportation community through professional organization involvement. Marketing and project pursuit experience are key requirements of this position. The position also involves preparation of proposals, scopes, budgets, and schedules; day-to-day communication (oral and written) with the client; support and advise junior engineers and technical staff; and manage sub-consultants. Atlas is committed to assist you in advancing your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way in a collaborative culture.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program
- EIT/Fundamentals of Engineering Exam with ability to obtain PE licensure
- 4-7 years of experience in engineering design
- 1+ years of supervising work of a project team and project management experience
- Strong background in developing preliminary and final engineering deliverables
- IDOT, Illinois Tollway, CDOT, InDOT, and CTA Experience
- PE license in Illinois
- Knowledge of permitting requirements for the various agencies in the Chicago metropolitan area
- Experience and understanding of Earned Value project management or willingness to learn
- The ability to lead, develop, and mentor engineering staff as well as build a collaborative team
- Applies a thorough knowledge of current principles and practices of engineering as related to the variety of aspects affecting the organization
- Applies knowledge and expertise acquired through progressive experience to resolve crucial issues and/or unique conditions
- Keeps informed of new methods and developments affecting the organization, and recommends new practices or changes in emphasis of programs
- Works on programs of varying complexity and scope
- Serves as the technical specialist for the organization in the application of advanced concepts, principles, and methods in engineering
- Keeps informed of new developments and requirements affecting the organization for the purpose of recommending changes in programs or applications
- Interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates assignments
- Knowledge of hydraulics & hydrology a plus
- Supervises a staff of engineers and technicians
- Plans, schedules, or coordinates the preparation of documents or activities for multiple projects
- Reviews operational procedures to ensure compliance with applicable policies and performance measures
- Responsible for contract and financial management of projects
- Proactively engaged in marketing and business development strategies and implementation
- Proficient in using MicroStation/Geopak, Bentley SS4 with OpenRoads Technology, and/or InRoads, MS Office, ProjectWise, IDOT and Illinois Tollway SS4 CADD workspaces. AutoCad Civil 3D and ARC GIS a plus
- Proactively interacts with clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others
- Leads project meetings and makes presentations
- Represents the organization and maintains liaison with individuals and related organizations
- Positive attitude with excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills