Exciting opportunities are available to join Atlas Engineering Group, Ltd. (Atlas), a professional licensed consulting firm specializing in civil/transportation/rail design engineering, structural design engineering, water resources, construction management, surveying, and program management. Work out of our offices in the City of Chicago (right on the Chicago River), Northbrook, IL, or Valparaiso, IN. Flexibility to work remotely part-time. Seeking staff with a positive, pro-active attitude, who are integral to the foundation of our organization, and the key to everyone’s success. Join a team with a culture which welcomes everyone’s perspectives and voices and become a part of a dynamic organization that delivers a passion for what we do and a vision for enhancing the communities and ever-changing environment that surround us.
Atlas is seeking a Director of Structural Engineering in our Structural Division to join our evolving Team. This position is a leadership role for leading a staff of design engineers and technicians in all aspects of design and plan preparation for bridge and structural projects. Our clients vary from federal, state, and local governments; railroads and transit agencies; and collar county DOTs.
The primary responsibility of the Director is to lead, manage, and build the Division. This individual must be capable of developing highly innovative, creative, and efficient design solutions. Must have an established design reputation, and positive client references. Has the ability to guide initial design concepts and ideas from pursuit and selection through successful project completion on multiple projects. Capable of meeting technical goals while meeting management goals and project budgets. Must have the proven initiative to teach and train other designers and interdisciplinary project teams in the essentials of design. Effective in mentoring and developing junior design staff, challenging, inspiring and/or motivating others.
Must be capable of identifying, attracting, mentoring, and retaining key design staff, and will be responsible for targeting and developing strategies for hiring senior and junior design talent. Must be active in local, national, or international professional design related organizations.
This position will work in a team environment, make sound engineering decisions, provide direction to staff, and coordinate the workload of projects. The Director will lead, assign, and review work of the project delivery team; check work through QC and QA procedures; monitor progress; identify changes of scope and additional services; mentor staff; collaborate with all team disciplines: and manage the project scope, budget, and schedule.
The successful candidate will be given the opportunity to represent the firm, develop and maintain client relationships, lead proposal development, participate in interviews, and be a visible and active member of the transportation community through professional organization involvement. Marketing and project pursuit experience are key requirements of this position. The position also involves preparation of proposals, scopes, budgets, and schedules; day-to-day communication (oral and written) with the client; support and advise junior engineers and technical staff; and manage sub-consultants. Atlas is committed to assist you in advancing your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way in a collaborative culture.
- Master’s degree in civil/structural engineering from an ABET/EAC accredited program
- SE licensure in Illinois
- 10-12 years of experience in structural engineering design
- 1+ years of supervising work of a project team
- Project and staff management experience
- Proven experience in developing and leading final engineering deliverables
- IDOT, Illinois Tollway, and CDOT experience
- Excellent leadership and mentoring skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Must be capable of leading a team, write winning proposals, and making presentations
- InDOT, CTA, and railroad experience
- PE license in Indiana, Florida and/or Texas
- Experience and understanding of Earned Value project management
- The ability to lead, develop, and mentor engineering staff to build a collaborative team
- Direction and supervision of a technical group providing project development, design and structural services to roadway and rail transportation agencies, and other clients
- Leading the pursuit of new structural work to support and grow the Division
- Develop and nurture relationships with key clients as part of the firm’s strategic plans
- Develop new business and win bridge and structural work
- Assign priorities and staff to projects
- Client contact
- Quality control and assurance
- Establish and approve budgets for the Division.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry services, projects, and trends
- Hiring, supervision, mentoring, professional development, evaluation, and termination of Division staff members
- Coordinates Division activities and assigns priorities and staff to projects
- Works with executive management in setting Division budgets, goals, and forecasts
- Leads an active mentoring role; motivates and develops staff for career advancement
- Actively participates and leads in the business development process by delivering quality work, providing excellent client service, and leading project pursuits
- Represents the organization at professional organizations and conferences
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Serves as the technical specialist for the firm in the application of advanced concepts, principles, and methods in structural engineering
- Keeps informed of new developments and requirements affecting the firm
- Manages structural aspects of projects and/or multi-disciplinary projects
- Ensures quality control is performed and that mistakes become learning opportunities
- Reviews or approves structural analysis and design of structures, including signing and sealing engineering plans and documents
- Assists the project managers in coordination with the client, subconsultants and staff
- Supervises a staff of engineers and technicians
- Organizes, executes, and coordinates assignments
- Coordinates the preparation of documents or activities for multiple projects
- Responsible for contract and financial management of projects
- Proactively engaged in marketing and business development strategies
- Coordinating project priorities, staffing schedules, and staff assignments
- Supervising and mentoring staff
- Actively manages assigned project management activities (project scope, schedule, budget, and quality management)
- Performs Earned Value management of projects and works with project managers to make any necessary adjustments
- Proactively interacts with clients, customers, officials, contractors, and others
- Leads project meetings and makes presentations
- Represents the firm and maintains liaison with clients, prospective hires, and related organizations
- Positive attitude with excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills
Send your cover letter and resume to HR@aegroupltd.com